Sunday 21 April 2013

Italian Grip : Compound attack....fencing terms in a noble sport.

Self Portrait in Italy.


Italia the land of my ancestors.......the empire, the eternal city....Roma.


Stranger than fiction and more comforting than the life I'v just left behind.
In the sport of fencing......my friends tell me there are some interesting terminologies associated with the game......which warrant discussion of the existential sort.

When I first saw how the game is played...my thoughts were tied up with how incredible the positioning of the bodies looked.....all the lunging and uprightness seemed like exquisite dancing.

As I watched in awe of the uncertainty and zen style placement.....my attention turned to the remarks used by the onlookers.........italian grip and a compound attack!......was this poetry or the dialogue from my own shambolic life.....of late.


A powerful thing happened as I observed the two bodies in front of me......they were armed with swords and facial masks to protect themselves......as I joined in the shouting and general cheering .....I was taken back to a reminder of a time I did not like......one which controlled my words from within....as the opponents lunged toward each other with a mighty growl.......the words....."Dangerous Woman" and I never loved you!........reeled into to my mind....... like a roaring locomotive, about to go into a dark and loud tunnel............resonating at a high pitch almost dictatorial.

Absence of blade, Derobement, Fleche, Corps-a-corps and EN GUARD........all terms used to define the game.......Italy has profound and unique ways to make my work and all I do .....appear worthy of my recent unearthly demise......only this time the sword....IS.... mightier than the word.
En guard!

No comments:

Post a Comment