Monday 25 June 2012

The world in her skirt......"Stop the world I want to get off"......now!


All day I have been re-counting the passing of the week just gone.Two major catastrophic incidents took place......France lost the "Y" out of the most iconic logo known to them... that of YSL. A so called new Creative Director...I cant recall the name (Lame I think) decided that it was a good idea...name change will certainly put him on a map of his own...but hey... he will still hang on to a part of it to give him cred.....he'll need it.

 The other news I received tonight from Rome ...was that the legendary Italian Cinecitta Studio's in Rome..... is being developed into a resort and fun park for tourist's.
Hail...!
Federico Fellini if you are with the God's of Rome up there.....is it possible you can shoot arrows into the rear ends of those about to concrete by the thousands of kilo's, into the sacred play ground of the worlds most treasured land of exquisite artifice ..........."Maestro feel free to unleash your wrath".

Has the world gone stir crazy.......Im ready to call Richard Branson up to ask him if I can nominate my services as a guinea pig....for his first flight to Mars...or is it La Luna!?.....anywhere but planet earth.

The first ten years of any new century...is always about technology.
This century started off so well.....dont get me wrong!.....I would be the first to say how much I love facebook and youtube and my laptop with the perfectly cut out little apple on the lid......but its taking the personal elements from our old lives into the impersonal land of click click click click....click.

Year in year out....in this new century I have watched my Graduates leave their nest....only to discover their chosen fields of study are not well represented out there in the so called "Global Community".

Career's in the world today are subject to the utmost scrutiny ........a position in fashion or the creative domain is one you have to be deeply philosophical about. A creative approach is not enough to carry you across the threshold of this most unpredictable arena.

To play as an artist in an artist's world you need to be tough...you need to always be outside...in the dark...in the light...up in the air....down in the basement...where ever it pulls you into is where an artist gets his or her chances.An artist who becomes a Fashion Designer...has to be outside most of the time.
Its a world of thinking and re-thinking...often 24 hours a day....because its governed by business.

Andy Warhol said.."The art of Business and the Business of art.....are good."

Looking at the students work at the end of their time......is kind of sad...strangely they have belonged to you....they are in your charge...when they go you speak of the great and passionate days you hope they will have and with that...also comes the wonder of it all.

Their history and their technologies are fast and expedient.....its the one they were given..the one that hopefully transports them to that distant world, where the new order of things fits well for them.....let the fashion gods look down at them from the giddy heights and steer them into their own wonderfully artistic/worldly/meaningful yet alarming treadmills of life.......remember to be philosophical in what ever you do.......that will guide you well in the knowing that you have a fantastic experience ahead of yourself.



Oh....that contemplative other geographical walk.....I was going to take.......has  now made me more conscious  of all the emails and attachments I need to attend to....so I guess after I skype my friends in LA and fax an invoice I will be able to check my facebook notifications and prepare the assessment marks....before recharging my mobile phone and ipod ...in time for a 8.00am start......note to self..............must call Richard Branson.....ASAP!

1 comment: